History & Mission
CAAC coordinates and presents ten to twelve solo and group exhibitions, and fifteen to twenty artist forums annually. These exhibits and forums demonstrate the works from professional Asian artists of innovative ideas at the Council's own facility, Gallery 456, and other sites around the city. Opened in 1989, Gallery 456 is a 700 sq. ft. well-lit, column free space open to the public. It is the first non-profit art gallery for Asian artists in SOHO. Gallery 456 helps CAAC to fulfill its mission by introducing and increasing exposure of emerging Asian artists. The gallery also provides a central location for interchange of ideas among artists and plays as the vital part of a communication channel for Asian artists working on contemporary and traditional art.
Program for Emerging Curators and Artists
Each year, CAAC/Gallery 456 invites proposals from artists and curators, in visual or performing art form, for solo or group shows with a thematic orientation that features innovative ideas or attractive perspectives. Accepted proposals will be granted an exhibition opportunity in collaboration with CAAC/Gallery 456.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- Summary of the Project (1-2 pages)
- At least 10 images in JPEG file format from each participating artist, relating to the proposed project and labeled with name, title, medium, size, and date of work.
- Resumes and statement of each artist.
- Resume of Curator. (This item is not necessary for individual artists applying for solo exhibition.)
- Reference letter should be available upon request.
- All materials can be submitted via email - email@example.com, or sent in CD/DVD format.
- Please note: the proposed material will NOT be returned to the artist.
Open to all Asian artists for solo exhibition application. For group exhibitions, there must be at least 50% Asian artist included. There is no ethnic requirement to curators but participants included in proposed exhibitions should follow the eligibility requirement.
There is no deadline.
Please do not call CAAC/Gallery 456 with questions about your submission in terms of the selection process.
Reasonable care will be exercised with received materials, but CAAC/Gallery 456 assume no responsibility for submitted materials and we would appreciate if applicants send only replacement documentation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or general inquiry.
• The gallery floor plan is available here.
The programs of Chinese American Arts Council/Gallery 456 are supported in part by public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, New York City Department of Cultural Affairs and many other friends.